“Good teaching is good teaching, no matter how it’s done.”
The old adage still rings true, and e-Learning brings with it new dimensions in education. Some of the unique features of e-Learning are listed below.
Features of E-Learning
- Learning is self-paced and gives students a chance to speed up or slow down as necessary
- Learning is self-directed, allowing students to choose content and tools appropriate to their differing interests, needs, and skill levels
- Accommodates multiple learning styles using a variety of delivery methods geared to different learners; more effective for certain learners
- Designed around the learner
- Geographical barriers are eliminated, opening up broader education options
- 24/7 accessibility makes scheduling easy and allows a greater number of people to attend classes
- On-demand access means learning can happen precisely when needed
- Travel time and associated costs (parking, fuel, vehicle maintenance) are reduced or eliminated
- Overall student costs are frequently less (tuition, residence, food, child care)
- Potentially lower costs for companies needing training, and for the providers
- Fosters greater student interaction and collaboration
- Fosters greater student/instructor contact
- Enhances computer and Internet skills
- Draws upon hundreds of years of established pedagogical principles
- Has the attention of every major university in the world, most with their own online degrees, certificates, and individual courses
Benefits of e-Learning
There are many significant advantages for the student who learns online. Here are just a few to consider:
Convenience and Portability
- Courses are accessible on your schedule
- Online learning does not require physical attendance
- Learning is self-paced (not too slow, not too fast)
- You’re unbound by time – courses are available 24/7
- You’re unbound by place – study at home, work, or on the road
- Read materials online or download them for reading later
Cost and Selection
- Choose from a wide range of courses to meet your needs
- Degree, Vocational, and Certificate programs
- Continuing Education
- Individual courses
- Wide range of prices to fit your budget
- Go back to school to get a degree, learn a new skill, learn a new craft, or just have fun!
- From art to zoology you can do it all online in a price range to fit your budget.
- Online learning accommodates your preferences and needs – it’s student-centered
- Choose instructor-led or self-study courses
- Skip over material you already know and focus on topics you’d like to learn
- Use the tools best suited to your learning styles
- Online learning will draw you to topics you like and enjoy. Studies show that because of this and the variety of delivery methods used to reach different types of learners, retention is frequently better than in a traditional classroom.
- Technology tools make collaboration among students much easier. Since many projects involve collaborative learning, the online environment is far easier (and often more comfortable) to work in since learners don’t have to be face-to-face.
- The global learning community is at your fingertips with online learning. The technologies used give online instructional designers the ability to build in tools that take you to resources you may never see in a traditional classroom.